Crime Writing Diploma
This course on Crime Writing is ideal for those with an existing interest in the crime fiction genre, as either a reader or amateur writer, looking to master the detailed and specific skills that they need to begin a rewarding and successful writing career in this thrilling field.
The wide-ranging and varied course is split into ten interactive and intuitive modules and covers all of the knowledge and skills that you need to get started and make an impact as an author in the crime fiction market.
What you will learn
This course covers these key areas in detail, plus much more:
- The qualities and characteristics of a great crime fiction writer and some of the benefits and rewards that you can enjoy as a writer in this varied field
- An overview of some of the key sub-genres within crime fiction and a closer look at the fascinating careers and writing styles of some of the world’s best-selling crime authors
- Deciding on your own particular writing style and identifying your all-important target readership groups
- Tried and tested techniques to plan and build a gripping plot for your crime story
- Great ways to structure and pace your story, including how to effectively build suspense and intrigue by using clues, red herrings and other techniques to keep your readers guessing
- How to choose the setting of your crime novel, including deciding on a great location for your book and the best time period in which to base your novel
- The importance of writing a thrilling and compelling start to your book and how to do it, including an overview of the use of prologues and backstories
- How to create thrilling, intriguing and believable characters for your crime novel, with a particular focus on creating interesting detective characters
- The different roles that dialogue can play in your novel and how to write exceptional dialogue, both creatively and grammatically
- How to write thrilling descriptions using a variety of stylistic devices to add interest and enrich your writing
- Factors to consider when deciding on your crime scene and how to craft a superb ending to your novel that will both satisfy and intrigue your readers
- How to generate new ideas for your story, including great tips on how to tap into your own creative reserves and how to use automatic plot generators
- Choosing a title, front cover and blurb for your novel which will hook potential readers to find out more
- How to make mainstream and niche publishing houses sit up and pay attention to your novel
- The rise of self-publishing and great ways to build a successful online presence for your e-book.
Benefits of taking the Crime Writing Diploma
Each module will provide you with a wealth of information and some expert tips to broaden your creative writing skills and will equip you with everything that you need to hit the ground running and get started writing your very own crime fiction novel.
The Crime Writing Diploma offers students the following benefits:
- The ability to study anywhere at times that suit you
- Study at your own pace, with no deadlines: complete it as quickly or as slowly as you like
- Use any internet enabled device to study on, including computers, tablets and mobile phones
- Follow the course easily thanks to interesting, informative modules, which make studying fun
- A convenient online support system, helping you to stay on track throughout the course
- A comprehensive curriculum, providing you with the knowledge you need to begin writing crime novels.
- Earn a certified, recognised diploma
- An affordable cost
Who should take this course?
If you are already an avid reader of crime fiction and have always wanted to try your hand at writing your own crime novel, this course is the ideal starting point for you. It is also particularly useful for those with some previous writing experience in other genres who want to deepen their understanding of the crime fiction field. However, this course has been specifically designed to require no previous knowledge of creative writing.